Bike to School Week is a week-long event starting on Monday 27th September until Friday 1st October which encourages families to cycle or scoot to school. It’s a great opportunity to celebrate cycling and scooting and the positive impact active travel has on children’s health and wellbeing and the environment.
This event is organised by Sustrans and supported by the Bikeability Trust. Bike to School Week celebrates cycling to school and the benefits of travelling actively for children. It’s not just cycling, you can scoot or even walk if these forms of travel are not available and we would like as many of you as possible to “ditch the car” and opt for a sustainable form of travel to benefits you, your child and the community! We will be promoting this in school assemblies and in class.
Sustrans - The organisers of this event would love to know how many families cycle or scoot to school during Bike to School Week 2021. All families that fill in their short online form to tell them that their child/children will take part will automatically be entered into a free prize draw to win a Frog bike. Please follow this link to make your pledge:
The school journey is a perfect opportunity for children to learn about their local area, develop wider social networks and gain independence. So here are some of our top tips:
· The average primary school journey is just 1.6 miles.
· One in four cars on the road during the morning peak are doing the school run.
· Encouraging children to walk, cycle and scoot will reduce congestion and pollution around the school gates.
· It will also help your child’s mental and physical health.
· Teachers find that pupils who walk and cycle arrive at school more relaxed, alert and ready to start the day than those who travel by car.
· By walking or wheeling to school, children will feel all the benefits that come with an active school run.
We have bike/scooter racks at the front of the school and will offer additional overflow storage in the quiet area in the playground during this event.
SAFETY measures: Please remember that bikes/scooters should not be ridden on school grounds. Please dismount before entering the school gates and if you do use the overflow storage please push you bike/scooter through the school and do not ride on the driveway on your exit...